ACSH CONFERENCE 2014
Date: 22 May 2014
Place: Independence Palace, Astana, Kazakhstan
Theme: Civil service personnel management: current issues and prospects
On May 22, 2014, as part of the VII Astana Economic Forum, Astana hub held the II Global Conference “Civil service personnel management: current issues and prospects” at the Independence Palace.
The Conference were organized jointly the Agency for Civil Service Affairs and Anti-Corruption, the Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the EU Project «Civil Service Reform and Modernization of the Government of Kazakhstan».
The conference program consisted of three panel sessions devoted to the issues of assessing the performance of civil servants, personnel management in the civil service, and also the sustainable development of the civil service through regional cooperation.
Sessions were held with the participation of heads of authorized civil service state bodies from different countries:
- Chester Newland, Ex-director of Federal Executive Institute (FEI) under the Office of civil service personnel management of the United States of America, honorable professor of public administration of the University of South California
- Joachim Vollmuth, Senior expert in public administration Former, Head of the Division at the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Germany.
- Stefan Hlawacek, Chief expert in management and organizational development, Former Director of the Economic Development Institute of the Chamber of Commerce Austria.
- Wu Yongping, Associate Dean, School of Public Policy and Management, Tsinghua University, professor, People’s Republic of China
- Manvel Badalyan, Chairman of the board of Civil Service of the Republic of Armenia, and others.
Also, the conference was attended by well-known representatives of international organizations and international experts and scientists in the field of public service:
- Garegin Manukyan, Governance & Public Administration officer of Division for Public Administration and Development Management of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- Rex Facer, Executive director of the American Society for Public Administration (ASPA), Associated professor on public finances and management, Brigham Young University, USA
- Matthew Stafford, Dean of Faculty of Federal Executive Institute (FEI) of the Office of personnel management of the USA
- Dieter Wagner, Director at the Potsdam Transfer, Potsdam University.
- Alexander Turchinov, Director of the Institute of Civil Service and Personnel Management, head of civil service and HR policy department, Academy of National Economy and Civil Service under the President of the Russian Federation.
Also, on May 22, 2014, the third meeting of the Steering Committee of the ACSH was held in Astana. The meeting participants heard a report by the Secretariat on the work done in the framework of the Astana Hub since its foundation in 2013; they have also discussed current issues related to the work of the Hub.
As a result of the meeting, the following decisions were made:
- two workshops in Azerbaijan and Armenia in 2014
- two issues of an electronic journal should be published annually;
- The strategy of Dr. Rex Faiser (co-chair of the Knowledge Management and Expert Network working group) was adopted to draw the attention of academics to the Hub electronic journal;
- the co-chairs of the Steering Committee, Mr. A. Baymenov and Mr. S. Tull, signed the Joint Communiqué, which stated the decision of the Astana hub participants to continue joint work.