ACSH ANNUAL CONFERENCE 2015
Date: 21 May 2015
Place: Independence Palace, Astana, Kazakhstan
Theme: Meritocracy and Professional Ethics as Key Factors of Civil Service Effectiveness
On 21 May 2015, ACSH held Global Conference on «Meritocracy and Professional Ethics as Key Factors of Civil Service Effectiveness» in the framework of Astana Economic Forum, which took place at the Independence Palace in Astana.
The Conference was organized jointly with the Agency for Civil Service Affairs and Anti-Corruption of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, UNDP in Kazakhstan and EU Project «Civil Service Reform and Modernization of the Government of Kazakhstan».
The welcoming speeches were delivered by the Chairman of Agency for Civil Service Affairs and Anti-Corruption of the Republic of Kazakhstan Kairat Kozhamzharov, the Administrator of United Nations Development Program Helen Clark, the Chairman of the Steering Committee of the ACSH Alikhan Baimenov and Head of the Delegation of the European Union to the Republic of Kazakhstan Aurelia Bouchez.
About 30 leading international experts and specialists, including experts from China, USA, South Korea, Singapore, Finland, Greece, Azerbaijan, France, Georgia, Jordan, Russia etc, have participated in the Conference.
This conference gave an opportunity to create discussion platform, on which participants exchange of opinions and experiences on modern trends and best international practices on application of professional ethics systems, anti-corruption training of civil servants and introducing the principles of meritocracy.
- The priorities and pace of civil service reform depend on global, regional and country-specific factors as well as the role of state and the chosen social-economic model
- Kazakhstan has implemented two stages of the most comprehensive deep reforms of civil service in the region, and the establishment of the Hub in Astana allows it to become an international center of expertise in the field of civil service
- Ethics and meritocracy in civil service are critical for making progress on civil service excellence and sustainable development
- Merit-based selection in civil service can be promoted through a centralized civil service recruitment agency, by law and code of ethics, and by the clear division of administrative and political services
- One of the main reasons for some countries to achieve success in fight against corruption is taking measures to eliminate opportunities for corruption by streamlining and simplification of administrative procedures, decision-making procedures in procurement and public investments – the areas that generate great interest for the countries of the ACSH
Related news: http://old.astanacivilservicehub.org/events/106